Before we even knew we were going to Utah I bought some stuff to make our costumes. We decided to go with a Monsters Inc theme because Akoy is obsessed with that show. He calls it Kitty. He wants to watch it all the time. After a lot of thinking I decided I could probably make our costumes. I went ahead and ordered Akoy's because I knew I couldn't make his.
After planning our trip to Utah, I had no other choice in taking everything with me and making it there. I am glad it happened this way. I don't know if could have made the costumes without my moms help. I have a super hard time reading patterns. One day maybe I will understand them. She taught me a few things and It'll be fun to try them out one day myself. I made my dress and Lily's dress in Utah. Lily's costume was "Boo." I cut up a blanket to line the inside so it would warm and soft. The purple was super stretch and silky and hard to sew along with the minky type material from the blanket. I may have bribed my mom to help me with it because I was struggling. We then made my dress off a pattern. My character's dress looked a little different but we just made the dress based off the pattern I bought. I learned a little more about sewing with this dress and how to do a zipper! I am grateful that I had this learning opportuity, even though it ate up my time in Utah.
We flew home Tuesday night and I had to make Bryson's costume Wednesday. I thought and researched for awhile on how to make his. I finally decided to follow an angry birds tutorial but make "Mike" instead. Bryson's costume was actually the easiest to make because it was just felt. The other materials were super hard/frustrating to sew, especially when you don't have your own sewing stuff to work with. (my mom's sewing stuff is a little out dated and hard to work with, don't worry mom, I still love you.)Mike's costume was fun to work with because Bryson got into it as well. I finished the main part and Bryson decided he wanted an eye lid. So we made an eyelid and it made it look a lot better. I was also making my snake hair and Bryson later added the tongues. Then added some eyelashes to my eye. I love having my husband involved, even if it was just for a little bit.
To sum up our costumes, I absolutely loved them and am happy with the way they turned out. It was a lot of work and I don't know if I will make our costumes again. :) Our homemade costumes didn't turn out a lot cheaper in the end like I thought they would. Our morph suites (our skin) probably ruined the budget, but they added a lot to our costumes.



2 comments:
AMAZING costumes! I can't believe you made them. You've got skill :)
You did such a great job! I wish I was a cool mom like you.
Post a Comment