Monday, August 29, 2011

A not so fun picnic

This past weekend our stake had a softball tournament. Last year we had a blast, so I was really looking forward to it this year. Of course, I would not be playing, but I was still excited. I dropped Bryson off and then came back and waited for Akoy to wake up. (our dear neighbors watched him, don't worry-I didn't just leave him)  We had 3 games before lunch. Bryson pitched and did a great job. We got to see him hit a few good hits. I was mostly on child duty so the other wives could play. Akoy found a new friend Paisley and hung out on the bleachers almost the entire time we were there. 

The stake provided lunch for everybody. We sat on a friends blanket and enjoyed our lunch. Akoy took his shoes off while he ate. After he finished his hotdog he wandered around and ended up walking over to the playground. I kept my eye on him the entire time and Bryson was planning on going to grab him. He walked on the playground mat/soft black/tire stuff that was under the playground. Went on a toy and walked around a bit more before another boy around 10 yrs started bringing him back. I figured that boy just didn't want Akoy to play. After heading back, a neighbor picked up Akoy. I figured they were just trying to find his parents. I had my eye on him the entire time, so wasn't to worried. Bryson went and took Akoy from our neighbor. I guess Akoy had been crying. I couldn't tell from that far away. He was screaming. We figured he got hit or something, I didn't see anything that happened. A minute later we realized his feet were blistered bad.  Someone got some ice, but Akoy wanted nothing to do with it. Someone mentioned taking him into the doctor so I started looking up to see what after care hours our doctor offered. Bryson held Akoy while we tried to round up a nurse or someone that knew something about burns. 

Bryson tried to put Akoy down in the stroller to walk back to the car but he just shook and was in a little shock. He screamed the entire car ride and time at the doctors. We walked into the office and another lady let us check in ahead of her because she knew something was wrong with Akoy. He would not let up and the whole office knew it. The nurse gave him some ibprophen to help with the pain. We waited for a bit until a doctor finally came in. After some sterilizing and drying off she said he had second degree burns and put stuff on them and wrapped it up. She was worried about on area turning into a third degree burn but checked it the following day and it was looking better. The face, hands and feet are all bad place to burn and the doctor started talking about replacing skin and just scaring me!  So no burn clinic for us. Thankfully! She wanted to see us again the next day. She also told us to have him stay off his feet.  After she wrapped Akoy's feet up, he finally let down crying. I think the medicine kicked in and he was tired. He started to fall asleep on my shoulder. He ended up taking a 4 hour nap afterwards.
Waiting to see the doctor

Close up of the burns
after they sanitized the burns

All bandaged up. medicine kicked in...
nap time
Enjoying some dinner
Watching movies on the phone

Reading stories before bedtime
Bryson and I had planned on going out to dinner before he started his job at the library Saturday nights. We went to Olive Garden and Akoy was so good! Usually we were chasing him everywhere, but he just stayed in Bryson's lap and was in such a good mood. Saturday night he slept great and only woke up once. We were prepared for a bad night, so that was great! 

Sunday morning he tried to walk a little bit but it hurt so he mostly crawled or knee walked. He would start to stand up on his heels or toes. The doctor redressed the burn and thought it was looking a lot better. We made another appointment for Wednesday and I would changed the band aids each day until the appointment. 
Waiting for the nurse to come clean them
Checking out his 'owies' after they were cleaned.
right foot
left foot
Last night Akoy was doing great. He started to walk a little bit on them without to much pain. Hopefully today he will do even more. I just feel so bad for this little guy. I am so glad that after the initial couple hours he is handling this so well! I am glad that I choose next week to have this baby instead of this week. I need to get him back to normal and walking before I leave and he becomes a big brother that is getting ignored! Can you believe she is coming next week?! I am so ready for her to be here! 

6 comments:

Megan said...

That is SOOO crazy! I am glad that he is doing better though and that you will have another week to get him healthy before baby girl comes! :)

breezy and branden said...

Poor little guy. Get well soon bud! Congrats on the new little girl coming, that's so exciting! You're gonna love dresses and bows.

Amy Rose said...

Poor little boy! Poor baby! His feet look so painful, I am definitely glad this didn't happen just after you had the baby. I hope they heal nice and clean!

Sarah said...

I can't believe that it is so bad. I would have never expected the ground to be that hot. Poor kid!

Jamie said...

Wow, I bet that was stressful having to deal with that and being so prego. Glad he's doing better!

Kara Anderson said...

Just stumbled across your blog today. Poor poor Akoy! I can't believe how brave he was! What a sweet little thing